Sunday, January 9, 2011

Easing in to the New Year...



Happy New Year!

As our students eagerly returned from winter break, I was equally as ready to get right back into the swing of things inside the atelier.  I will be honest, my main goal was to ease into the new year; to quickly remind students how to use a specific material, maybe complete a small assessment, and, above all - emphasize the elements of art (all while introducing a new artist and allowing the students to "be free" while creating).  Clearly, my easing in meant squeezing in as much as I could into such a small amount of time.  And although my goals were plenty, I must say I did a pretty good job this week balancing all of my objectives.
I never want to compromise my students' creative thinking time for my own agenda, and I am proud to say that I didn't!

However, there was one common thread throughout my teaching this week: the elements of art.  Sure, our students know the adorable little chant and fingerplay song about the elements of art, ("Line! Shape! Color! Texture! Space!) but are they giving these elements a second thought when working on a masterpiece?

The truth: Many are not thinking about these elements and perhaps they really do not need to.  Teaching the elements is easy because it's natural for a child to create something with lines, shapes and colors that are intentional.  (An example: A child creates a zebra that has black and white stripes and a rectangular body) But during this past week- I wanted them to be consciously aware of their mark-making.

PreK3 and PreK4 students examined the work of Picasso and practiced their scissor-skills while composing a self-portrait collage.  We discussed how Picasso "changed" faces: He put a nose on a cheek!  The eyes are on the side of the face!  - We discussed how we could make our own abstract/cubist-style faces.  Our students were satisfied with just cutting up paper (many of our PreK 3's are just beginning to cut out simple shapes!) - but the real creativity began when putting together their portrait.  I heard comments such as, "This zaggy line can be a mean mouth!" and "I'm making me sad.  I can take a letter C and make it a sad mouth!"  We discussed how geometric and organic shapes can quickly turn into a part of the face.  We noted that various lines evoke different emotions!  The students were putting the elements of art to work - and doing it with intention! (All while practicing how to use materials, learning about an artist, being "free" in their creativity... and of course, I assessed! ;)

Kindergarten students were introduced to something a little more complex...   We examined the work of photo realist artist Chuck Close.  If you have not seen his work, please google it!  He creates photo-realistic portraits of his friends and family.  Our students were shocked to see that he did not paint "pretty and posed" pictures of people, but rather depicted people how they really are.  We also learned that Chuck suffered an illness that left him a quadriplegic.  He could no longer move his arms or legs, and was left with the question: "How will I ever paint again?"

I was proud of our kindergarteners - they were deeply sympathetic and contemplated how one would paint without the ability to move both arms and legs.  They also learned that Chuck used the grid method to create many of his paintings, which broke large, complex paintings into lines, shapes, colors and values (Ah ha! The elements of art!)

We practiced using the grid method and created a collaborative portrait of President Barack Obama.  Afterwards, we practiced using anything but our hands.   Students found it a challenge to create a self-portrait without their hands.  Some students placed a marker under their chin to draw, others used their elbow.  Many used their mouth (Chuck's preferred way of painting!).



Student practicing how to draw a self portrait with the use of his hands.

Student using his mouth
One student even tried a foot! 



The "elbow method" seemed to work well! 
Self-portrait completed through the use of the mouth

"Elbow method" self-portriat 



Students did a wonderful job this week inside the art studio...  look for more self-portaits in a variety of media to come in the next few weeks! (I guess we're right back into the thick of it - so much for "easing!!" :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment