It's that time of year again- many classes are wrapping up ideas and designs for projects and kindergartners began one final self-portrait for the end of the year.
During mid-June, kindergarten students will be promoted to first grade, thus leaving our Amos 2 campus. Many of these students have been with us since preschool, and the ceremony is both an exciting and emotional event. As a tradition for the past 5 years, we examine the work of Andy Warhol and begin one last portrait. I also like to pull any portraits I've kept over the year to show the students their immense and incredible progress. Once the students finish their observational drawing, it is copied a few times and given back to them. Then, students can do whatever they want to their pictures. Usually they choose to create one "silly" portrait in watercolor (think bright, non-traditional colors), one painted realistically in acrylic or tempera, one with oil pastel, marker or crayon and one with collage. We then mount the series and hang them along the walls during their promotion.
Although self-portraiture can seem to be mundane or ever-so-typical inside the art studio, we do like to kick it up a notch! I've noticed that no matter how many "aw man, we've done this before" comments I receive, once a student has a mirror in his or her hands, their attitude changes dramatically. There is something magical about seeing such young students examine their own emotions and then actually draw what they see! I've posted just a few of their detailed drawings! (Since they are to be a surprise in a month! :) Enjoy! - Also, please remember that this is just the beginning - I will post more once they are finished!
No comments:
Post a Comment