Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Welcome to Art Studio!

For all the new friends and families joining our school, I'd like to welcome you to our art studio blog!  For all of the visitors who have been to our blog before, welcome back! Many of you already know that I'm Ms. Mellissa, the atelierista (studio art teacher) and it is my job to provide provocations, guide lessons, and encourage creative thinking that occurs within the walls of the atelier (the art studio).  


Our school is Reggio Emilia-Inspired, which means that there is a large focus on project-based learning.  Although we follow national and local standards, curricula, and complete both formal and informal assessments, being Reggio-inspired means we are able to add another dynamic dimension into our lessons. We believe that our students can do anything and learn anything. We do not tell children the information that they need to know - it is not drilled in their brains repetitively - they are not given worksheets and copies to color in.  We always try to look at our children as producers rather than consumers - and provide them time to discover and construct their own meanings.


Our students are researchers.  Oftentimes, they come up with the ideas that guide our lessons.  The teachers plug in the math, literacy, history, and science connections (although the students begin to do this all on their own without knowing so).  From their ideas, teachers gather materials that spark more interest and students are enabled to continue to dig deeper and create works based on their developing knowledge.  In the atelier, students bring their ideas and knowledge and will create detailed diagrams, paintings and sculptures - discussing what they have learned.  


There are also times when the teachers place materials out to serve as a provocation (to "provoke" thinking, learning and discovery).  We want our students to wonder - we want them to never stop yearning for new knowledge.  


Everything we do is documented.  Conversations are recorded and photos are taken of each process.  Documentation panels are created.   Parents can view the documentation panels as evidence of the learning that occurs - students and teachers use the documentation panels as a reference or a guide to further teach an idea.  


We believe that parents should work with instructors as partners- and we cannot do this alone!  I will always be looking out for your support and will always welcome you into my room to work with me as a partner in this process!  


Please know that all of my blogs will NOT be this long :)  - that every student will not be showcased every day (as we have over 150 students!) - There will be some blogs about what we are learning in the atelier - how students are demonstrating their knowledge- and I will also try to provide blogs for parents that include resources and helpful materials! 


This is a work in progress!  Welcome to our journey! 

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Mellissa,
    I am so excited about whats "to come" this year! I stopped by the Art Studio and honestly it was the most age-appropriate art studio I had ever seen. It was adorable! I appreciate this blog as I am trying to learn as much as I can about the Reggio-Emilia philosophy.
    -Maia
    (Micah's Mommy)

    ReplyDelete